Dungaleer's Gooraway Hotel on the Walgett road ceased to operate. Jack Dominick took up Lorne Station. "Butterfly" diggings was the new rush, probably due to the origin of the stone bearing that name, and one given pride of place by buyer Ted Murphy, the best judge of opal at the time. Dick Huggard (Kitty Francis' brother) built a second billiardroom, where Boardman's Arcade is. Richards Hill at the Grawin was discovered. Elizabeth Brown alias Mrs Wilby Wilby was shot dead at the Grawin Creek Inn, delicensed for some years. No one was convicted.
Albert Dominick became postmaster. There were three telephone subscribers. Bert Brown and his large family came to town, the men as contractors (fencing, ringbarking, etc.) rather than miners, initially. An airplane landed in Morilla Street! Roy Allport built his matrimonial home 1924 (Noel Kennedy's today), then built his widowed mother-in-law a house next door in the 1930s, where Bob Molyneux lives today.
The delicensed Weetalibah Hotel burned, Constable George Cox Sr inspecting the matter - his grandchildren are here. A small exodus to the opal rush southwest, where the "Grawin Queen" caused a sensation. Regan's Store relocated, even offering a small library courtesy of Dymocks! The little community of the Grawin came the closest ever to being declared a village. "Sunset Queen" was broken into chips but was suspected to have been 9-10 oz., a massive opal. "Light of the World" from the Grawin was larger than "Pandora", which was found towards Bald Hill earlier the same year, 1928.
Imperial Hotel burned down, a colorful spectacle as the spirits "went up"! Suspicions confirmed....
Petition lodged to reserve parklands (caravan park, sports complex, pool today). Imperial Hotel rebuilt.
The government paid a shilling per foot to sink shafts during the Depression. Bruces operated a general store in Morilla Street, about where St. Vincent de Pauls is today. They delivered on the field.
Third post office built by Jim Alderslade (Ridge Cafe today). Ray Hinds was postmaster. Spicer's or Graham Bros Cottage built by Bert Spicer when he struck opal with Laurie Hart, hence Harts & Spicers field of today.
The Anglican Church was blown to a leaning position and propped up for a time: "Well supported Church in L/Ridge" headlined one Sydney article! Lord and Lady Game visit the Ridge. Five telephone subscribers.
Second St George's Anglican Church replaces the condemned structure, built by Roy Allport/Jim Denis/Jack Boules (relocated as St George's Serbian Orthodox Church 1998) . Bert Spicer sold his cottage to the Graham Bros and moved to Parkes, where his son Mal still resides. Jack & Mary Francis married and took over the third post office/shop across from the Imperial Hotel. Mick Canfell returned and bought the old second post office from Albert Dominick, continuing to operate the general store within. The added butcherstand (1934) to the east of it was leased out for about ten years. Both were demolished in 1992..